Deciding what to give away, where to take it, and why
PHILOSOPHICAL & SPIRITUAL UNDERPINNINGS
1. CAN ONE BE TOO RICH? PART 1 & PART 2 – Thoughts about how much income is enough?
2. CAN ONE BE TOO POOR? OR TOO POOR TO GIVE? – … and is poverty “holy?”
3, IS IT POSSIBLE TO GIVE TOO MUCH? & PART 2 – Discerning between generosity and responsibility can be tricky.
4. SOONER THAN I THOUGHT – Sometimes it’s best just to start. Notice the person in front of me & move beyond “just in case”
5. GIVING $ vs GIVING STUFF & SAVING $ vs SAVING TIME & SAVING $ TAKES TIME – Trade offs in ways to give and save
6. LETTING GO OF MY TIME & A WASTED DAY? – Does time count?
7. SPEND IN ORDER TO SAVE – When might spending money save money?
8. LETTING GO OF DISAPPOINTMENT – Freeing oneself of negative emotions
9. BLACK FRIDAY & SHOPPING – Thoughts on consumerism and capitalism
10. INTANGIBLES – letting go of negative emotions, bad habits and attitudes (See Beyond Stuff page for more)
11. GUILT & HAITI AS MOTIVATION – Guilt can be a warning sign or a motivator, but it’s also possible to overthink our decisions.
12. ZEN QUESTION – REVERSE GIVING – Receiving gratefully
DECIDING WHAT TO GIVE AWAY – It can feel overwhelming. Here are some tips on how to start.
1. EMPTY IT FIRST & PART 2-CLOTHES CLOSET
2.TO PITCH OR NOT & TO FIX OR NOT & THE LAZY WAY – When is an item too dirty or damaged to give away?
3. TO SAVE OR NOT TO SAVE – Will I regret giving this away?
4. CASE OF THE BOUNCING JEANS & OH OH, UNDELETE THAT ITEM – Store for awhile in a give away pile or box.
5. IS IT ILLEGAL TO GIVE AWAY… I CAN’T GET RID OF… NOBODY WANTS MY… MORAL QUESTIONS
6. HOW TO COUNT & DOES BEING ROBBED COUNT? – For the compulsive – What do you count as a valid give-away?
7. IT’S EMBARRASSING – Criteria for how many coats to keep
8. BOOK CRITERIA FOR GIVING AWAY; KEEPING & COOKBOOKS – See below for where to take them
9. CHILD’S MEMENTOS & OTHER PEOPLE’S STUFF & GIVING AWAY THE KID’S & DOLLS & BALLS & KID’S STUFF– Giving away other’s stuff
10. RETURNING STUFF & “NO RETURNS” TURNS INTO VIRTUE – Can returning something count as a give-away?
11. THINGS I SHOULD TACKLE BUT WON’T – Discerning when pruning is taking too much time or energy
12. PHOTO OF NOTHING? – 4 insights after giving away things for two years.
13. STRATEGIES FOR THE LONG HAUL – How to keep giving after the first spurt
WHERE TO TAKE IT ALL – Sometimes the hardest part of giving things away is deciding who to give it to and where to take it. The following blog posts should help:
1. WHO TO GIVE STUFF TO (Part 1) MORE WAYS TO GIVE AWAY (Part 2) MISC. STUFF (Part 3) The basics
2. RECYCLING: WASTE LESS LENT (9 posts on where to take recycling), PROS & CONS & UBER recycling
3. WHERE TO TAKE IT ALL – Even more ideas of where to take unusual things
4. ETHICS OF DONATING – How good, clean, repaired etc. does an item have to be before you donate it?
5. NO HAGGLING – FREECYCLE – How to do a “free” yard sale and explanation of Freecycle
6. I’M BEING USED & RECYCLING OTHERS’ STUFF– Be the drop off place for Goodwill, St. Vincent de Paul, etc.
7. LUPUS SAVED ME – Add the Lupus Foundation to organizations that do home pick-ups.
8. BOOKS: WHERE TO TAKE – Where are some worthy places to take used books?
9. ELECTRONICS – Where to take old electronics
10. HAZARDOUS WASTE – HAPPY TRAFFIC JAM & (PART 2) – Disposing of hazardous materials
11. HANGERS – Places to take extra hangers. See also MISC. STUFF PS
12. HI HO SILVER AWAY! – Where to take valuables like silver, cut glass, antiques
13. THE REVOLVING PLANE – Regifting
14. CONTRA COSTUMES – Try a dress swap with friends
15. DRESSES & A SUIT – Beyond the dress swap. Donate your professional attire to Dress for Success
16. FINDING GOOD HOMES – Places to take musical instruments, religious children’s books
17. MORE WAYS TO FIND GOOD HOMES #1, #2, #3, #4 (mattresses, expensive stuff, trophies), #5 (memorabilia)
18. TOILETRIES TO GO – Where to take those hotel shampoos or used toothbrushes
19. TROPHIES – What to do with and Where to take old trophies. This is a hard one. Also see #4.
20. USES FOR USELESS STUFF – Among the many items I found uses for are: dead things, diaper pails, tooth brushes, old political buttons…
21. WHEN 50 MINUTES = 1 YEAR – Where to take heavy metal (and I’m not talking about music)